September 19, 2023
- Trademark law: Apple Inc.'s apple is distinctive and there is no need for a free-standing right. The Federal Administrative Court therefore approved the application for protection of the international registration in Switzerland as a trademark for sound, video and film recordings, contrary to the previous instance (BVer B-4493/2022 of 26.07.2023).
September 1, 2023
- Data privacy: Entry into force of the new Swiss Data Protection Act (DPA) and the Data Protection Ordinance (DPO). Companies must have implemented the data protection requirements by September 1, 2023 at the latest.
Pandemic and labor law: The Federal Supreme Court has ruled that the employer is not obliged to pay wages if the business is closed due to an official order if the short-time compensation does not cover the loss of wages. In the specific case, the cantonal court had to clarify additionally whether 100% online teaching would have been possible during the closure and in this way minus hours of the affected employees could have been avoided. Judgment of August 30, 2023 (4A_53/2023).
July 1, 2023
- Relaxed provisions on working hours for companies in information and communications technology as well as auditing, fiduciary services and tax consulting.
- Employment Law: The Superior Court of the Canton of Zurich confirmed in a case that an employer must pay wages during the lockdown that occurred at the beginning of 2021. The employer had to reckon with a further lockdown when it hired the employee in August 2021 (judgment of 06.02.2023, LA220011-O).
- Trade mark law: The fanciful word "FACTFULNESS" is not imaginative enough to be a registered trade mark. The individual words do not lose their meaning and are descriptive of the products offered, i.e. the educational material/school books. They are therefore in the public domain and cannot be protected by a trademark. BGer 4A_65/2022 of 06.05.2022.
February 3, 2022
January 1, 2022
- Revision of the Versicherungsvertragsgesetz (VVG)
July 1, 2021
February 1, 2021
- Entry into force of the Blockchain / Distributed-Ledger-Technologie Law (DLT-Gesetz)
January 1, 2021
Our services are not provided to individuals situated in the EU.
-> Archive Blog lawyer labour law zurich